Samaritan Center Support Staff - Part Time
Title: Part Time Support Staff
Location: Samaritan Center, Vero Beach
Hours: Part Time (24 hrs/wk: Monday 3-11P, Saturday 7A-3P, Sunday 1-9P)
Reports to: Assistant Program Administrator
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Teaches effective communication skills through the use of respectful, verbal, physical and emotional role modeling
- Builds trust by encouraging and empowering the residents to convey their feelings and by responding in an objective manner to what has been said
- Supports the resident’s development of personal independence by encouraging healthy and productive social interactions
- Provides a safe, home like environment within which the residents can grow by encouraging healthy and productive social interactions
- Provides the residents with supportive supervision and guidance to achieve smooth operation of program guidelines
- Provides ongoing assessment of the emotional level of the Center and to defuse conflicts through early intervention utilizing a supportive and non-punitive approach
- Maintains current knowledge of all administrative and case management procedural policies and residential guidelines
- Completes all documentation as per staff protocol, i.e. progress notes, staff communication book, intake forms and all logs as needed
- Maintains current CPR and First Aid Certifications
- Attends agency meetings/staff development programs as required
- Attends additional training as determined by needs outlined in annual evaluation
- Participates on a CQI team
This is a sampling of duties. Other tasks, responsibilities and duties may be assigned as needed.
- High school graduate. College degree preferred
- One year experience in the area of social services
- Supports the social teachings of the Catholic Church
- Ability to work effectively with families
- Strong interpersonal skills and flexibility; non-judgmental attitude
- Ability to forge mutually respectful partnerships with supervisor, coworkers, and clients with an understanding and sensitivity to cultural differences (i.e. Specific cultural and ethnic groups, religion, various socio-economic groups, and those living alternative lifestyles)
- Good communication, organizational and domestic skills
- A commitment to empowering others to solve problems
- Valuing a nurturing family as the ideal environment for a person
- A conviction about the capacity of people to grow and change
- The ability to establish a respectful relationship with the persons served to help them gain skills and confidence
- Ability to understand the needs of the client and respond accordingly
- The ability to work as a team player and work collaboratively with other personnel and/or service providers or professionals
- Possess a valid Florida driver’s license
- Excellent and professional telephone manner, interpersonal skills, confidentiality.
- Ability to work effectively with employees, departments heads, representatives of other agencies and the general public.
- Ability to multi-task, work independently and make responsible judgment calls.
- Computer literate; Microsoft Word and Excel, email and internet usage
- Occasional light lifting and carrying of under 15 pounds
- Occasional moderate carrying and lifting of 15 – 44 pounds
- Frequent use both hands and fingers (i.e. typing)
- Frequent extended periods of sitting
- Occasional periods of standing, kneeling and climbing
- Occasional ability to distinguish basic colors (i.e. graphics)
- Occasional ability of minimal hearing (i.e. driving) and routine hearing (i.e. listening to others in conversation)
- Occasional time spent working closely with others.
- Work hours are generally regular; however the job demand may require extended hours from time to time.
- Work involves sitting, standing, walking, bending, stooping, occasional carrying and lifting heavy objects, and other normal office activities.