Samaritan Center Support Staff - Part Time
Title: Part Time Support Staff
Location: Samaritan Center, Vero Beach
Hours: Part Time (24 hrs/wk: Monday 3-11P, Saturday 7A-3P, Sunday 1-9P)
Reports to: Assistant Program Administrator
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Teaches effective communication skills through the use of respectful, verbal, physical and emotional role modeling
- Builds trust by encouraging and empowering the residents to convey their feelings and by responding in an objective manner to what has been said
- Supports the resident’s development of personal independence by encouraging healthy and productive social interactions
- Provides a safe, home like environment within which the residents can grow by encouraging healthy and productive social interactions
- Provides the residents with supportive supervision and guidance to achieve smooth operation of program guidelines
- Provides ongoing assessment of the emotional level of the Center and to defuse conflicts through early intervention utilizing a supportive and non-punitive approach
- Maintains current knowledge of all administrative and case management procedural policies and residential guidelines
- Completes all documentation as per staff protocol, i.e. progress notes, staff communication book, intake forms and all logs as needed
- Maintains current CPR and First Aid Certifications
- Attends agency meetings/staff development programs as required
- Attends additional training as determined by needs outlined in annual evaluation
- Participates on a CQI team
The above is intended to describe the general context of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
- High school graduate. College degree preferred
- One year experience in the area of social services
- Supports the social teachings of the Catholic Church
- Ability to work effectively with families
- Strong interpersonal skills and flexibility; non-judgmental attitude
- Ability to forge mutually respectful partnerships with supervisor, coworkers, and clients with an understanding and sensitivity to cultural differences (i.e. Specific cultural and ethnic groups, religion, various socio-economic groups, and those living alternative lifestyles)
- Good communication, organizational and domestic skills
- A commitment to empowering others to solve problems
- Valuing a nurturing family as the ideal environment for a person
- A conviction about the capacity of people to grow and change
- The ability to establish a respectful relationship with the persons served to help them gain skills and confidence
- Ability to understand the needs of the client and respond accordingly
- The ability to work as a team player and work collaboratively with other personnel and/or service providers or professionals
- Possess a valid Florida driver’s license
- Excellent and professional telephone manner, interpersonal skills, confidentiality.
- Ability to work effectively with employees, departments heads, representatives of other agencies and the general public.
- Ability to multi-task, work independently and make responsible judgment calls.
- Computer literate; Microsoft Word and Excel, email and internet usage
- Occasional light lifting and carrying of under 15 pounds
- Occasional moderate carrying and lifting of 15 – 44 pounds
- Frequent use both hands and fingers (i.e. typing)
- Frequent extended periods of sitting
- Occasional periods of standing, kneeling and climbing
- Occasional ability to distinguish basic colors (i.e. graphics)
- Occasional ability of minimal hearing (i.e. driving) and routine hearing (i.e. listening to others in conversation)
- Occasional time spent working closely with others.
- Work hours are generally regular; however the job demand may require extended hours from time to time.
- Work involves sitting, standing, walking, bending, stooping, occasional carrying and lifting heavy objects, and other normal office activities.