Catholic Charities Bakhita Empowerment Program provides assistance to the needs of victims of all types of trafficking within Palm Beach County. This assistance includes intensive case management, emotional support, safety planning, and advocacy. The Catholic Charities case manager coordinates referrals for housing, legal services, medical services, repatriation, reunification, counseling services, education and employment services, translation services, substance abuse services, dental services and branding(tattoo) removal. Victims are provided with basic needs and financial assistance to help them create a life away from their trafficker. Case managers also provide transportation to appointments and assist with replacing documentation often lost/stolen while they were trafficked.
The following services are available through the program:
- Crisis Intervention
- Intensive Case Management
- Safety Planning
- Emotional Support
- Legal Advocacy
- Provision of food, clothing, cell phones, and gift cards
- Cash Assistance
- Life Skills
- Transportation Assistance
- Translation/Interpretation Services
- Coordination of referrals for housing, legal, medical, substance abuse, mental health, academic, employment, dental, and tattoo removal services.
Catholic Charities participates in the Palm Beach County Human Trafficking Task Force which is co-led by Palm Beach Victims Services and the Palm Beach Sheriff’s Office to enhance collaboration of service providers, law enforcement, and the U.S. Attorney’s Office.
Ways you can help a human trafficking survivor:
- Donate Online
- Collect Items: Current Wish List
- Join the Community Fight through the Human Trafficking Coalition of the Palm Beaches. The mission of the HTCPB is to raise awareness about Human Trafficking. The Coalition serves as an information, education and networking resource for the community.
- Donate professional services through the Sharing One Love Resource Hub. Catholic Charities has partnered with Sharing One Love and other faith based communities, business, and professionals in providing services to survivors of human trafficking and sexual exploitation. Examples of services needed are rental/housing, transportation/Uber, substance abuse scholarships, health care, education, job training opportunities, legal assistance, beauty services, and other services. Don't see your service listed HERE on the flier? Contact Char Talmadge at 786-565-8677 or firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an informational meeting with your parish, ministry, and/or group.
- Report a Tip: National Human Trafficking Hotline